Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Quilting

A little while ago, I took on a task that I'd never done before; quilting. My Aunt Becky (by adoption lol) wanted her grandmothers handy work finished, so I took home a small topper and have since put it together. I am now in the process of quilting it and am having so much fun.
This quilt top was hand-sewn together by Aunt Becky's grandmother. I absolutely love the colors and pattern. Even though today we are all about matching colors perfectly, I think this color scheme is great. Old quilts just have that feel of 'this-materiel-is-not-just-materiel', it has the feel that is came from something special. You see where they take old shirts and dresses and make the patch work out of them. That's the kind of feel you get from old quilts. And then there is the fact that it was hand sewn together. Today we all use machines to sew the quilt tops together, and much of the quilting is done on machine not by hand.
Since this quilt top was hand sewn, I thought it deserved to be hand-quilted. And so here are some pictures, just for you Aunt Becky, so you can see the progress and how it looks.
Since I'd never quilted before, Mama told me the different ways you could quilt; like the different quilt patterns. Cross wise, on the seam, 1/4 inside of the seam, ect. I wanted something easy that way I didn't get frustrated and want to put it down, but I wanted it to be nice, so I chose the inside the seam by a  1/4 inch.
I am using a quilting square. I know you've heard of the quilting hoops but this is different and holds the fabric so much better. Quilting hoops tend to let the quilt slide and you have to keep tightening it. This is a plastic square that holds the materiel from the backside. I was putting it on the top but found that I could get closer to the edges it done backwards.
Here is a close up of the back.
 Hope you enjoyed seeing my project. I will be posting the finished project in the future.
Have a blessed day.
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a few words for me!