Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2015

My Garden

Hello! I'm so glad you've stopped by. This is the first time doing my own garden, so I'm posting pictures on request (Sarah), and because I'm really excited to see how it works. ☺ So, please excuse the enthusiasm over some of the small things, or un-important things, that you think may be silly, childish, or prideful; I'm just really excited. ☺
**************************************
Today I finished getting my square-foot garden ready for planting. Here are my two 8 X 4 garden plots. Normally, they would be made out of wood; untreated, 2 X 6 boards. But because of the lack of this, and the plenty of cinder blocks, I used what I had.
(I love my pathway!)
This first plot is filled with Jungle Growth Mix.
 The second plot will be filled with Mel's Mix, from the Square-Foot Gardening book. I bought the materials to mix it myself, instead of buying the pre-prepared stuff.
~ Peat Moss
~Vermiculite
~Compost

Mel says to use 5 different kinds of compost, but I only got two (it was all I could find).

 I dumped half of everything onto a tarp. Once you do that Mel says to wet it (lightly) so that the ingredients don't get carried away by the wind. This is very smart because the vermiculite is really light and it was flying away every time I stirred or turned the soil. ☺
 Then you turn it, by pulling the corners of the tarp to each other corner. Back and forth, and back and forth, until its mixed. This was really, really cool because it wasn't as strenuous as trying to stir it all and not bust the tarp. And... turning it this way mixes it up nice and even. ☺
 Once that was mixed I put it in the plot. My tarp started tearing so I finished mixing the rest up in the plot.
Here is where I really appreciated having blocks for my boarders; I could stand on them, lean on them and walk on them to spread and turn the soil. Mixing the soil this way was harder because it doesn't mix as even as fast; you have to use more man-power, (or woman-power lol).
After I mixed it all together and spread it out evenly, I wet the soil, and now I'm ready to plant.
So, what am I planting? Stay tuned and you'll find out. Haha! ☺
Have a blessed day!
Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, I love this! Thank you so much for posting pictures and the details of what you did. I feel so special that you took time to do this after I asked. I absolutely love your garden so far. The pathway is really nice. Now all it needs is a few vegetables. :-) Please share more pictures as you continue to work on your garden. It's fun to see how things are coming along and what you are doing there at home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a few words for me!